Friday, March 18, 2011

The Birth Of A Portfolio

     Well, the time has come to jump into my professional photography career with both feet, ready or not!  I have to have my portfolio completed by the end of April so that it can be sent in for printing in time for the end of the semester.  I was searching publishers online last night and found that they go from cheap and cheesy to expensive and beautiful.  The problem is to find one the is both affordable but with an acceptable quality. 
     And then, of course, is the quality of my pictures.  I have to choose a theme and then the photos.  Ah, the dilemma of decision!  I'll be including the pictures as I edit them and I would appreciate your feedback on them.  Which ones you like, don't like, think should be included, not included etc.  Keep in mind that this should be a book which would be presented to a prospective employer, customer, or doctoral program.
      I have to have the cover page in to my teacher, Professor Margaret Evans MFA, by Thursday, March 25th.  Since I'm not even sure what the theme is going to be, choosing the cover, which should be one of the best of the collection, is difficult.  So, you can see me dilemma.  The forerunner at his point is either the baboon face or the flamingo. 
      Another thought I had was using poetry in conjunction with the photos.  A picture on one page and a poem on the facing page.  My problem with that is that I don't really have the time to match poems and pictures, at least not good poems with sensible pictures.  But, since I have some 5,000 or 6,000 pictures, I should be able to find 30 to 90 photos. 
       Here are the pictures so take a look and tell me what you think.  Please don't hold back I need your honest feedback.  I have to have a B+ in this class in order to stay in the program.  They are very serious about the graduate program!  Stay in touch and I'll be posting, probably twice a week.  Thanks all.

No comments:

Post a Comment